Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Frugal Friday Food And Fun

So I realized my obsession isn't gardening necessarilybut the efficiency and cheapness of it all. All together it is homesteading, stockpiling, couponing, making your own clothes, a drive for sufficiency in living within our means.

So Frugal adventures as of late:

Regrowing celery from the store. I read about it in disbelief, started to believe a little with furthur reading and ran to the fridge to cut up the celery I had in there to start the experiment. It's working! My little celery heart has sprouted. How cool is that? If I grow that into just one more head of celery then I've saved over $1, and every dollar matters.

Couponing. Whoa. This is a big hairy complicated world. But I like it. It seems that you have to start where there are rewards, find an item with high rewards points and a coupon and start there, then you roll over those points and start saving. That would be my biggest piece of advice for anyone starting, start with one store, one or two items. If you make a big ol' strategy you may come out with $40 in gift cards and points but you spent $100 of things you weren't planning on buying to get there. The idea is to spend very little on those things you don't need right now.

Home Sauna. This just means I am from Texas and no 100 degree days in California are going to scare me. We do NOT use the air conditioner, nor will we start. We have a little kiddie pool so when the afternoon is unbearable we dip in that then lay in the hammock, California has a breeze. I can do 100 degrees with a breeze. Plus it doesn't stay 100. So our electric bills have all been under $60. In California. You can't buy a coke here for under $60

No comments:

Post a Comment